15 Cool Facts About Miami
Miami is one of the hottest vacation destinations in the world. Here are some interesting facts about this sub-tropical paradise.
1. Miami was named for the Mayaimis, a Native American tribe who lived in the area until the 17th or 18th century. The Mayaimis took their name from Lake Okeechobee, which was called Mayaimis or “big water”.
2. The first suntan lotion was invented by Miami Beach pharmacist, Benjamin Green in 1944.
3. Miami Beach was a mangrove swamp before it’s development started in the 1920s.
4. The only Everglades eco-system in the world is in Miami.
6. Miami is the only major city in the US to be founded by a woman (Julia Tuttle).
7. With more than 800 buildings, Miami Beach’s Art Deco district is home to the world’s largest collection of Art Deco Architecture.
8. In 2008, Miami was ranked #1 Cleanest City in America by Forbes Magazine.
9. Miami has the largest cruise ship port in the world.
10. Miami Beach is also known as “America’s Riviera”.
11. In 2008, South Beach was rated #1 beach in America by the Travel Chanel.
12. Miami was a popular place for pirates to visit and bury their treasure. Famous pirates such as Gasparilla, Blackbeard and Lafitte were regular visitors and caches of gold, silver and treasure have been uncovered on and off land in the Miami area.
13. Miami Beach is known as the “Wreck Diving Capital of the Americas’ due the sheer number of wrecks.
14. Nearly 12 million people visited Miami in 2009.
15. Miami Beach has a large snow skiing club.
Traveling to Miami? Jazz Hostels will always offer you a great place to stay where you can feel at home and meet new people as you embark on your travel adventures.
10 Responses to “15 Cool Facts About Miami”
Leave a Reply
- Grab a Citi bike steps away from Jazz on Columb...
- When visiting NYC, sleep well at Jazz Hotels an...
- Jazz on South Beach has affordable rooms for th...
- Party in New York City during and after Oktober...
- How do we choose where we should travel? Some s...