Anyone traveling to Montreal or other areas in Quebec should take the time to learn a few basic French phrases. While most people will likely answer in English when they hear your accent, even simple attempts at speaking the language will be appreciated by French-speaking locals.
Here are some basic French phrases for travelers to Montreal and Quebec.
- Hello; Good day – Bonjour
- Good evening – Bonsoir
- My name is Tom. – Je m’appelle Tom.
- What’s your name? – Quel est ton nom?
- Nice to meet you. – Enchanté (for men) / Enchantée (for women)
- How are you? – (Comment) ça va?
- I’m fine, thank you. – Bien, merci.
- And you? – Et vous?
- Excuse me – Pardon, excusez-moi
- Do you speak English? – Parlez vous anglais?
- Yes – Oui
- No – Non
- Where is the restroom? – Où sont les toilettes?
- Please – s’il vous plait
- How much is it? – C’est combien?
- Thank you. – Merci.
- You’re welcome. – Bienvenue.
- Goodbye. – Au revoir.
- I’m sorry. – Je m’excuse.
- Check, please. – La facture, s’il vous plaît.